Democracy is something that gives the right to the people to elect their head. In short, you can say that democracy is all about electing officials through people’s vote and consent. There are many big countries that enjoy democracy as it is considered to be the basis of any system. For any country to progress, it is important that democracy is established. Though democracy offers a number of benefits to the people but there are a few disadvantages too. Let us see how democracy has both pros and cons related to it.
Advantages of democracy:
• As already said above that in a democratic country the people have the right to vote so that they can choose the people they trust. The citizens of the country participate in taking the important decisions thus ensuring the smooth running of the government.
• Democracy ensures that the people of the country are equal and they have similar rights to cast a vote and choose the officials of their choice. Thus it helps in maintaining equality which brings the people together and establishes harmony as well.
• With democracy people come to know about the political condition of the country as which party is good and which one is more efficient. Based on the information, the people decide as which party is good for the country and should be elected for the next term. So democracy is definitely a source to guide people about the political scenario of the nation.
• Democracy brings change from time to time. If people are not satisfied with the working of any party or their officials, they can always re-elect another party thus bringing a huge revolution. So the parties and officials ensure to please the citizens in every manner. With democracy, a sense of participation comes from the people that help them in bringing the desired change.
• There are fewer chances of any revolt as political decisions are based on the liking of the people. This establishes peace in the country and ensures a healthy environment.
Disadvantages of democracy:
• Sometimes democracy can lead to wrong decisions as people might not be able to make the right choice. Thus, in turn, will affect the political condition of the country thereby increasing the chaos.
• Unethical activities take place during the voting as every party wants to be at the top. So this leads to wrong practices being followed or people being bribed for the same.
• Not all the people go to cast their vote as per the achievements of the party and get carried with people who belong to their caste. This is an injustice because the one who is efficient and competent may lose due to fewer votes.
• There are cases when the decisions are not clear and this wastes a lot of time as well as money. Re-elections have to be conducted in such a case so that a clear decision can be reached.
So democracy not only has its positive effects but the negative side as well.